Saturday, April 25, 2009

Don't Tax Me Bro!

The funniest signs I saw at the T.E.A. Parties on the 15th, were the ones that said, "Don't Tax Me Bro!" Of course, this was a play on words from the You Tube video, where the stonner type dude, from I believe somewhere in Florida, yells, "Don't tase me bro," when about to be tased by the cops. When I saw the signs at the T.E.A. Parties, I couldn't help but chuckle. Recently, reference was made here in Dallas to a letter to the editor from a newspaper in Wichita Falls, where a guy wrote an open letter to the IRS. It made me chuckle also, but then I was forced to except the reality of it all, and the smile slowly vanished; though I still retain my sense of humor, until such time that too is redistributed to the humorless.

The letter is as follows:

This was sent to the Texas Times Record News by a Wichita Falls citizen, published on Feb. 6th.

Dear IRS,

I am sorry to inform you that I will not be able to pay taxes owed April 15, but all is not lost.

I have paid these taxes: accounts receivable tax, building permit tax, CDL tax, cigarette tax, corporate income tax, dog license tax, federal income tax, unemployment tax, gasoline tax, hunting license tax, fishing license tax, waterfowl stamp tax, inheritance tax, inventory tax, liquor tax, luxury tax, Medicare tax, city, school and county property tax (up 33 percent last 4 years), real estate tax, social security tax, road usage tax, toll road tax, state and city sales tax, recreational vehicle tax, state franchise tax, state unemployment tax, telephone federal excise tax, telephone federal state and local surcharge tax, telephone minimum usage surcharge tax, telephone state and local tax, utility tax, vehicle license registration tax, capitol gains tax, lease severance tax, oil and gas assessment tax, Colorado property tax, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, Oklahoma and New Mexico sales tax, and many more that I can't recall but I have run out of space and money.

When you do not receive my check April 15, just know that it is an honest mistake. Please treat me the same way you treated Congressmen Charles Rangle, Chris Dodd, Barney Frank and ex-Congressman Tom Dashelle and, of course, your boss Timothy Geithner. No penalties and no interest.

P.S. I will make at least a partial payment as soon as I get my stimulus check.

Ed Barnett
Wichita Falls


“To take from one because it is thought that his own industry and that of his father’s has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association—‘the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.’ “
--Thomas Jefferson

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget, the lovely thing called personal property tax and my favorite, cat and dog tax. I think we are so inured to this that we only consider the income tax as a gauge to what we are paying and perhaps the property tax. The author brings to mind the severity of the over bloated government revenue machine.

    Did you know the Colonist revolted because the crown was taxing them at 2%?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, bro! and sis! Someone should figure up how much the average middle income wage goes to the feds through some form of a tax. I am sure it has been done. I will do some research myself.

    ReplyDelete

 



Free Hit Counter

Copyright © 2009 - 2012 The Audacity of Logic