Tuesday, May 19, 2009

49 MPG

The year is 1990. I owned a Honda CRX HF. At 6'7" I actually fit in it pretty good once I got in. I even had to bring the seat forward a little from it's fully retracted position. I, John Adams, am a little anal-retentive (i.e. overly frugal, orderly, overly neat, maybe obsessive compulsive about some things). You can ask Patrick Henry if you don't believe me. After 25 years he has probably seen some evidence to bear proof of this statement. I say this because many may not believe that I keep a log of everything I ever do to my vehicle, including fill-ups and gas mileage. For the entire time that I owned this car it averaged 49 MPG with regular unleaded gas. I was in the upper 50's if I ran higher octane gas (Amoco Ultimate) on the interstate heading east to Charleston (downhill). Today we get 'all' excited about expensive hybrids that are barely breaking 40 MPG, while 20 years ago it was being done with 'old' technology. We could debate for hours and days the reasons, and I have heard many of the 'excuses', but I believe we will find the same truths moving forward as we did then and that is a highly efficient car with uninspiring looks and performance will not be popular enough to sell enough of to save the Big 3 (or 2, or 1), especially for a higher price. It is not the field of dreams (if you build it they will come). And I am curious to see how this all plays out, assuming we actually live to see it. I hear from Ol' Ben that the world is scheduled to end December 21, 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Holy Crap! 6'7"??? Where do you come from, "The Land of the Giants"? (Anyone remember their 60's TV shows?)Anyway, I would guess I would have to agree with you John; you do sound a wee bit anal retentive. On the other stuff, it's a well known conspiracy theory that the big auto companies conspired to buy patents that were owned by virtual unknowns years ago, which allowed combustion engines to get 100 miles to the gallon, and then secreted them away from the public. Looks like they are gonna have to located those things and dust them off cause Barry has his foot on the gas pedal when it comes to new federal mandates on MPG. You would think Barry would just do away with the parts of the Constitution that protects states rights to make things more efficient over all; not that it seems to hinder him much as of late. And yes, the world is definitely ending in 2012. I've even planned an "End of the World Party," scheduled for some time in early 2013.

    ReplyDelete

 



Free Hit Counter

Copyright © 2009 - 2012 The Audacity of Logic