Saturday, May 16, 2009

Calling Them Out: What is Your Email Address, Senator?

I live in the great state of North Carolina, but I can not easily reach my congress person (Sue Myrick), one of my senators (Richard Burr), or my governor (Beverly Purdue) by email quickly and efficiently. Do you know why? Because they do not publish their email addresses - they make their constituents fill out a web form every time you want to communicate with them. I am sorry, but I am busy. I don't want to visit each of their homepages and fill out the same information over and over again - I want to point and click in my own email box and send a message to both my senators and my representative. I don't want to jump through their hoops, pick from their preselected subject lines, and compose my email on their site.

Can you imagine, as a business person, if I required my clients to go to a web site and fill out a form to communicate with me? If I didn't list my email address on my business card and did not share this with my clients, I would quickly find that I had no clients. People simply don't want to do business in this manner and perhaps that is a message that needs to be sent to our politicians. "I don't want to do business with you any longer."

I firmly believe that this is an example of arrogance and a general disregard for the constituents they represent. I understand the need to limit the emails to their constituents, but there is a very easy solution. You go to the representatives site, you fill out a form (one time) with your information and email address - the site administrator will validate your credentials and send you back the email address of the representative. That email address then will accept incoming mail from validated email accounts only. Simple, correct? Surely my 50% tax burden justifies being able to contact my duly elected representatives, right?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should move to a Red state. Texas is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NC used to be a RED state! How embarrassing that we were blue, the home of Jesse Helms voting for the Dems.

    ReplyDelete

 



Free Hit Counter

Copyright © 2009 - 2012 The Audacity of Logic