Monday, May 4, 2009

Missing or Murdered - No One will ever know unless you are a pretty white girl

Are you beautiful? If not, are you at least smart? If you are beautiful and you are smart - well, you hit the genetic lottery and you are by our societies standards our most valuable. We are all instinctively aware of this, but it was first brought to my attention while reading Dr. James Dobson. Dr. Dobson pointed out that for children in our society that are neither beautiful or smart parents need to validate and encourage those children for what they DO have to offer. He used the example of the notorious mass murderer, Richard Speck, who over the course of an evening, murdered eight nursing students in Chicago. A reporter commented that it was made even more tragic because all of the girls had been so attractive. In one off hand comment, he revealed what we truly believe, if you are beautiful, your life is more important.

National news coverage is only given to tragic abductions and murders of pretty white girls. When is the last time you saw a black child getting national news coverage? What about an ugly kid? Or what about a boy? I can answer that for you - you haven't. You can probably name the ones that come to mind: Jonbenet Ramsey, Polly Klaas, Elizabeth Smart, Jessica Lunsford and the latest Britanee Drexel. So our all inclusive media, who worships at the altar of promoting equality, fail, yet again, to present the news in an unbiased fashion.

I am by no means underplaying the seriousness and heart breaking reality of families dealing with the worst nightmare I can imagine. I am merely pointing out that if you are beautiful you get the coverage. Many of these families have channeled their tragedies into foundations that spot light this issue and have done great things to help save other children. John Walsh of America's Most Wanted, Mark Klaas of the Klaaskids Foundation, the Nationwide AMBER alert system - all beauty from ashes, made possible through national exposure of these cases.

Thankfully, there is someone who knows the pain these families suffer through, who comforts the grieving, and cares for the lost and the forgotten! He is incorruptable and eternal, He loves you so much He died for you. Jesus knows, and praise Him for that - because we fallable humans sure don't!

8 comments:

  1. Ooops, today they just started a national search for a kidnapped three year old Mexican boy, from California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that and was heartened my it and the scary story. Let's see if the media coverage lasts more than a day or two. I hope so, I hope I will be proven wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous,

    The post by Dolly describes a trend/a pattern/a mind set etc. Oooops...ONE example is not a trend or a trend buster. To state or even suggest it as such in order to refute this post is intellectually dishonest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. George,
    You may have missed anonymous' intended meaning. He made it a point to identify the young boy as Mexican. Maybe that is the reason for the media coverage as they attempt to be fair and unbiased. I will say that there is generally no bias by the media when children are involved. I am trying to think of a high profile case of national news coverage that would support a counter point. None come to mind, though I am sure that someone searching hard enough can find one. However, this does make a point supporting Dolley's assertion. Those cases do not stick in our minds or stay in our memories unless we were close to the case geographically or emotionally. I think that it is somewhat irrefutable that we as a society have come to equate beauty with value and importance. Hollywood and multitudes of magazine covers support this. We are enamored by beauty and tend to look down on the ugly or unattractive. How many times did somebody get picked on for being ugly, overweight, or awkward when we were children. How many off hand remarks can be heard now that we are adults. Compare those to similar acts against pretty people. I am certain the count will be lobsided. In our society it helps to be attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Adams,

    You may be correct, and I certainly hope you are. However, I believe it reasonable to say that to derive your lengthy and detailed conclusion based on the written sound bite provided by Anonymous would require a bit of a stretch, to say the least.

    In my opinion, the so called post by Anonymous reads like a drve by shooting, even if a drive by was not the purpose of the post. Again, I sincerely hope this (a drive by) was not the intent.

    Additionally, I must say to be totally fair and reasonable, thay my strong feelings for Dolly will always and automatically drive me to defend her to the ends of this rock we call earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always comes back to guns doesn't it George. And I do not know Dolley as well, but will do my part to defend her equally as well. I am learning that playing the Devil's Advocate in this group will always get some debate going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was simply trying to point out that while I may agree in generl with the post, there are rarely any absolutes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am truly relieved that Anonymous did not say "there is no absolute truth", for that is another debate unto itself.

    ReplyDelete

 



Free Hit Counter

Copyright © 2009 - 2012 The Audacity of Logic