Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Remember, democracy never lasts long...

It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." - John Adams, April 15, 1814.

There has been much talk about the rise and fall of democracies. What will be the fate of America? Great Britain is reeling from their social experiment. We are poised to follow in their footsteps, stride for stride. They are reportedly five years ahead of us. Hindsight is 20/20 but it appears that we are going blind. It is possible to learn through other peoples mistakes if you allow for the possibility that you yourself are human. That you may not be so smart that your ideas will not lead to ruin or despair. I do not think that the sky is falling, but I do believe we are heading for tough times and a longer road to recovery than we want to accept.

Adams also said, "I have accepted a seat in the House of Representatives, and thereby have consented to my own ruin, to your ruin, and to the ruin of our children. I give you this warning, that you may prepare your mind for your fate." - to Abigail Adams, May 1770.

I would venture to say that I am misconstruing the intended meaning, but it is interesting to draw parallels to this quote. The standing order in our political machine seems clear to me, conform or be cast out. Many a good soul has entered into this dream of making a positive impact to either be chewed up and spit out, or corrupted by the system. A pound of fresh meat will not make for good ground beef if the hopper is full of rotten meat. But we need fresh meat. We need to restore a sense of honesty and honor to our honerable positions. We need to clear the hopper in order to clear the way for progress.

I have given serious thought to entering the political realm, but reading John Adams words makes me search my soul for reasons to say that it will not happen to me. That it will not ruin my life, or that of my family. Conform or be cast out. Allow yourself to conform and lose the very values that made you want to do the right thing in the first place. Make a stand against the regime and you are destined for ruin. Conform or be cast out. Or ride the pine. For now I am riding the pine.

4 comments:

  1. Hell...I'd vote for ya; as long as you're willing to give me a federal bailout. A billion should do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll even throw in an AK-47 to sweeten the pot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust yourself Big Man. You have the soul and fortitude to serve with unwavering heart. Just do it, your State and your Country need you.

    ReplyDelete

 



Free Hit Counter

Copyright © 2009 - 2012 The Audacity of Logic