Friday, May 15, 2009

The Rude World

This has been bugging me for a long time. My father and I had a long discussion last weekend about it as well. And the blip on the news recently where PS Gibbs confiscated a cell phone during a conference really brought it to a head with me. I appreciate what Gibbs did. And the guy who took the call and walked out of the conference is proof positive that we have become a rude society because of cell phones. People walking around talking to themselves while a little blue bug flashes on their ear. Conversations cut off in mid sentence because of a call. I try to be respectful at all times, but even find myself being rude and disrespectful of other people because of this modern apparatus.
Our world, at least the developed parts where cell phones and pda's have become a norm, is more rude today because of these devices. And if we are all honest, we're all guilty to some degree. CBS correspondent Bill Plante even laughed and joked on the CBS Early Show about dissing Gibbs and taking the call. He said he probably should have turned the ringer off, but... Wrong. HE SHOULD HAVE TURNED THE PHONE OFF.
My momma tried to teach me manners, and I think she did a pretty good job. We need to look back at those teachings and also make sure that we are teaching our younger generation how to be mannerly with these new technologies. I could go on but

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about leaving you hanging, I had to take a call...

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - you are right on the money. We have become so technologically focused that we have lost much of our ability to be polite. Everyday courtesy is set aside. The cowardly among us hide behind keyboards and become email assassins. People check their blackberries incessantly and stop paying attention to those that are right in front of them.

    ReplyDelete

 



Free Hit Counter

Copyright © 2009 - 2012 The Audacity of Logic