Saturday, September 26, 2009

Not Too Smart - Hollywood's Big Mistake

Audacity of Logic readers know, we contributors are not so one dimensional that we don't like to pile up on the couch some nights and watch a little TV or a movie.  Unfortunately, I find there are increasingly more actors, actresses, film makers, singers, and entertainers in general that I can no longer watch or listen to.  Not because they are not talented or their work is bad, no, the sad fact is I can't stand their stinking political views and inane ramblings.  I get annoyed on a couple levels over this:

  1. Their synchophantic slobbering over Obama is nauseating as demonstrated in the I Pledge video
  2. Their general lack of understanding of the issues - a nightly dose of Bill O'Reilly's Pinheads and Patriots will give you a good taste in support of this position.
  3. Finally, I am saddened that people I once enjoyed watching, now just make me mad.
It can't be a smart career move to alienate half the country, right? So spout on Tom Cruise, Drew Barrymore, Whoopie Goldberg, Susan Sarandon, Oprah, Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, Courtney Cox, Bruce Springsteen - hey, you seem to hate capitalism so much I guess you won't mind if I stop buying your movie tickets, watching your TV show, going to your concerts, and buying your albums.  Maybe I am just one person, and that really doesn't make a bit of difference, but then again maybe I am not.  Maybe, more and more Americans are waking up and feeling the same way I do and maybe the celebrities would be better off is they just hush.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget a lot of athletes too. Remember, at the end of the day, "we" pay their salaries. It is within our rights and we have the power to cut their pay if we choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good friend once told me that, having spent time around several actors, to be most successful as an actor you have to be able to erase your own personality and intelligence to be able to take on the persona of the character you are portraying. To be able to do this, you have to be of somewhat weak personality and limited depth of character.

    He pointed out to me that this is reflected in the roles the actors play. Most of the recognized great actors portray a very wide range of characters - Think Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Meg Ryan etc. To be able to do this successfully, they must not have strength of character or intelligence to override the character they are portraying. On the other hand you will notice that the majority of actors who basically always portray themselves, think Stallone, Kurt Russel, Mel Gibson, are actually relatively intelligent and are mostly conservative thinkers. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but it gives you something to think about.

    ReplyDelete

 



Free Hit Counter

Copyright © 2009 - 2012 The Audacity of Logic