Wednesday, November 11, 2009

There was a time...

I remember being in the military my first hitch. It was 1972 when I joined. Viet Nam was still on and there was still a draft. People in the military were looked on, for the most part, with disdain by the masses. I really could care less; I didn't join for glory or for societal acceptance or recognition, but rather to serve my country and give back. Being a student of history, even at that early age, I recognized the sacrifice made by the Greatest Generation; those who died in WWII, who ensured my freedom.

Times change. I'm heartened by the fact that today soldiers are looked on as being worthy and routinely thanked for their service and sacrifice. I even read recently where a soldier was mugged, and when the muggers found his military ID in his wallet, they gave him back his belongings and thanked him for his service.

A friend recently asked if I was bitter that soldiers now get the respect, which I didn't receive back during Viet Nam. I looked at him as if he were crazy. No way, not in the slightest. I'm just glad there are still young people willing to serve and to sacrifice, even to make the ultimate sacrifice and to, once again, ensure my freedom.

To all my brethren, still here, and those gone...Happy Veteran’s Day.

3 comments:

 



Free Hit Counter

Copyright © 2009 - 2012 The Audacity of Logic