Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nations of Woosies

No one loves this country more than I do, but honestly, we're becoming a nation of woosies. I just heard today that employees can now miss work because of S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder) or what is commonly referred to as the ‘winter blues.’


S.A.D. is where you don’t get enough sunlight in the winter and you feel depressed. There was a case recently settled last October where a teacher sued her employer for not accommodating her seasonal affective disorder by failing to provide her a classroom with natural light - and she won.

With jobs being at a premium, I’m wondering who would be stupid enough to call off sick with S.A.D. Can you also imagine the strain on employers who have to deal with the kind of economy we are currently experiencing, and then they have to deal with this kind of crap as well? I grew up in the northeast. I went for months in the winter without seeing the sun. Guess what? I’m still alive.

I also heard recently that a prominent sports figure took a leave of absence because he has S.A.D. Not the winter blues kind, another kind. It’s called Society Anxiety Disorder. Don’t even get me started on this one. It seems we have a syndrome or disorder that covers everything now-a-days, and a prescription to combat it, or at least keep it in check with a steady supply of your drug of choice.

Can you imagine if the “Greatest Generation” had succumbed to this kind of nonsense during the Second World War? We’d be speaking German on the east coast and Japanese on the west right now.

Of course, we’re no worse off than the British. They recently instituted a “Bully Hotline” FOR ADULTS, who feel like their boss is being mean to them, in light of recent news stories about their Prime Minister Brown being less than cordial with his staff. I guess the famous “stiff upper lip” of the British, is now a “quivering” one. Boo- freaking- hoo. Welcome to the 21st century, lads.

4 comments:

  1. I'm assuming you were referring to Royals pitcher Zack Greinke?

    This is such a load a crap. I'm with you 100% on this. People do nothing but whine and complain about everything these days. Everything.

    We never have enough. People are mean. I want a BMW but I can't have it because I don't have enough money therefore I charge it because I deserve it.

    It's insanity the mentality of people in this country that they deserve everything, even constant sunlight in a classroom.

    People need to grow a pair, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Hack, him amoung others. I swear, if I had a multi-million dollar contract to PLAY BASEBALL, you'd have to find some kind of drug that would wipe the perpetual sh*t-eating grin off my face that would be plastered there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some twenty years ago I lived in CA and worked at a home for alcoholics and was shocked that in that state they were treated the same as a physically disabled person and got full benefits--think it was about $500 a month then. Hell everyone has problems and we each could claim some type of disability, but to take advance of some minor thing is not my way, but then I'm increasingly in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly why California is broke to the tune of $20 billion.

    ReplyDelete

 



Free Hit Counter

Copyright © 2009 - 2012 The Audacity of Logic